According to reports, the fate of waste-to-energy management project in collaboration with the German government is in the hands of the Nashik Municipal Corporation’s next general body meeting.
The civic administration had tabled the proposal for the implementation of the project at the recent general body meeting on December 19, following the German government’s nodal agency Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit’s (GIZ) letter asking the administration to convey its decision by December 7. But the proposal was set aside. Mayor Yatin Wagh said they would take it up in the next meeting.
The civic body had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with GIZ. The project was to be totally funded by GIZ. A workshop on the project had also been organised for corporators on October 19, 2010.Thereafter, the Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of India and GIZ had signed an implementation agreement for technical cooperation for waste to energy on August 18, 2011.The project was intended to make Nashik a garbage-free city.
The project worth Rs 7 crore had been sanctioned by the state government. According to the project, energy would be generated from bio-waste which would start the RDF (refuse-derived fuel) project. Former municipal commissioner BD Sanap had informed that the bio-waste will also include those from hotels and restaurants, besides the waste collected from urban households.
Sanap had said that if there is excess energy, after making compost, the civic body may sell it for commercial use. The project was expected to save a huge amount that it spends on electricity required to manage the compost plant and to help curtail the losses incurred from the plant.
The proposal was tabled at the GBM on October 17, 2011, which was adjourned. It was held on November 17, 2011. Earlier, it was decided that GIZ will fund 100 per cent to the waste to energy project.
But, the proposal included that GIZ and the NMC would spend 80% and 20%, respectively. The proposal had been passed at the GBM despite protest by the corporators.
Later, standing committee chairman Uddhav Nimse and corporator Gurmeet Bagga had written to Wagh for cancellation of the project. The mayor too stayed the project on May 21, 2012. In the meantime, the government had formed a four-member steering committee in connection with the GIZ project which included the principal secretary of urban development department, secretary of Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB), Commissioner of Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) and Commissioner of Nashik Municipal Corporation (NMC) on October 23, 2009.
This committee had chalked out a report on the GIZ project. Meanwhile, Wagh had called a meeting of all party leaders on December 6, 2012, in which it had been decided to put up the proposal on GIZ project for discussion in the GBM and had also instructed the NMC administration to submit the report of the Steering Committee of the government along with the proposal.
Group leader of the Shiv Sena, Ajay Boraste, who party was at the helm of affairs in the NMC when the GBM passed the proposal said that all the group leaders were firm about discussing the project again and that many corporators were new and did not know much about it.
Accordingly, the proposal was tabled at the recent GBM on December 19, 2012, which was adjourned. The mayor said that the proposal would be discussed at the next GBM which has been conveyed to the German agency.